Transformation 

Throughout my (almost) seven decades, I have engaged in the process of change as directly as possible. No battling or fighting – but rather dancing with :) no matter what hardship. This guiding melody forces me to listen to whatever life is gifting me. To be sculpted & tempered with as much consciousness as I can muster. Desiring to learn, be present, be molded by the forces bigger than us. Growing – inner and outer transformation.  

 

Mama Oak’s transformation – evaporating into another Gestalt? – is a joyful and exhilarating dance and adventure, lasting three days. My allies, natural curiosity and courage, help me to be present with all my senses, body and mind. The kind, and extremely skilled crew of six and the foreman Luis allow me to be around the whole time of this very dangerous work. My agility and 360-degree awareness are the necessary skills. Observing, taking photos, knowing when to get quickly out of the way, and pointing out certain pieces of wood to put aside.

  

 

Much of the time everyone is covered in blinding storms of wood flakes getting blown all across the garden. The experienced crew has created a pulley system to guide the oak’s pieces safely to the ground. Huge parts of the branches and trunk are being sawed off by the cutter up in the tree. The person on the ground has to pay close attention to pull at just the right moment, steading the falling, dangling, swinging, at times wildly swirling big limbs down. One mistake could injure a co-worker or knock over my cottage in a second. I tell them I sleep there. Watching for hours, I admire how the laws of physics – e.g. gravity, momentum, unpredictable explosive forces of the wood – have to be well known and respected for everyone’s safety. Often, we break into joyful exclamations. Their work is exciting, strenuous, grueling, constantly at the edge of danger. It is “high” art – hohe Kunst – and science. I am buoyed by the joy that is present, the laughter, banter, the appreciation, nods and smiles. These tree work masters are beyond strong. Constant flow and movement, presence and awareness, in concentrated service to the demanding task of removing the oak. And in tune with each other, and all other elements, like ropes, tools, chain saws, as well as the hill, gravity, balance, winds. Thank goodness, the weather is unseasonably cool, the sun hidden behind clouds.  

 

The team is working intelligently, smoothly, lightning fast, and the caring for each other is palpable. After cutting and sawing huge pieces of heavy oak wood are seemingly floating downhill, magically balanced on their shoulders and carried down the winding uneven stairs (85 -90 steps). Then, elegantly, they let them drop onto the chipper’s platform. Another pushes the chunks closer to the frightening super power of the chipper’s big augur. It is hard to believe how fast that machine devours, spitting out mulch. The blades have been sharpened recently. We nod at each other, buried in grinding pounding sounds. Even Santos and Jorge shake their heads in awe. 

 

Each day, I myself run the 80 stairs about 30 - 40 times up and down. At the end of three days, even though my T’ai Chi practice has supplied me with strong thighs, I feel it in my body :) The workers cannot rest, they have to go onto another assignment, hopefully not as strenuous.  And Mama Oak did not go to rest; she is in my lungs and skin by now. Four huge truckloads of wood chips will go to a playground and garden in Albany. And I will always remember her complex musky fragrance – which easily could be an expensive perfume – lodged in my nose, throat, and heart. 

 

Besides taking stills, I also keep choosing oak pieces to be saved for two different wood workers. Each has educated me what to look for so they can make bowls for themselves and perhaps some for me. I have to go with the fast flow of sawing, loading, carrying down, quickly stepping out of the way. Sometimes I clamber my way back up on the hill’s terraces to leave the stairs open. When David and John show up to get their wood, some of the crew graciously help lift the unimaginably heavy chunks into their trucks. Both artisans will rough-cut the wood, then let it cure with specific recipes for about 6 months, and eventually turn bowls. 

 

Five of the crew for a moment’s rest 

 

The other oaks get lightly thinned so they can spread out their arms. Luis is floating up and down the Cork Oak, his artistic eye and skill shaping beauty and delight. She is now the star. On the last day, I get a big expensive black “sun-kissed” watermelon, despite being a little early in the season, hoping for a really good one. Yes, it is – juicy & sweet – appreciated and enjoyed by all. At the very end, I ask Demetrio if he could help putting my swing on the lower oak for extra compensation. He takes 15 minutes for an improvised version that will do for now :) 

 

All beings – plant human mineral animal – are constantly transformed by life. Being alive is astonishing, and unpredictable. There is danger, hardship, cruelty, loss, violence, injustice. And there is beauty, kindness, and gratitude, just around the corner. We might dread change, like I did with losing this old Coast Live Oak, but when awake, the promising potential of transformation becomes palpable. Life’s gift to us. Like in a churning cloud, our fears, ideas, resistances are tumbled and turned. No promise of permanence. Inevitably we are shape-shifted. In light of her own transformation, Mama Oak said to me: “You can do this.”  I chose to say yes. Immanent, she leaves me on an open road, my destiny wide open…  


She leaves me gifts unimagined…. and some yet unknown… 

Comments

  1. You've transformed a sad and difficult task of ending into an exhilarating celebration of skill and life. Now that is something! Mama Oak's last words touch my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Laurie writes:

    What a beautiful rendering of the transition of mama oak. I am so glad you were able to be there the entire time, to witness the process, document it, and fully experience it. A gift in itself. Nice to know that John and David will be using some of the wood, another transformation to happen at a later date.

    You never cease to amaze me, how you find the magic in the sorrow and enable yourself to move through, much like tai chi. What a gift to you and to us too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, just WOW!!! You and the Grand Mama Oak are now one. I just love that she is now a part of you. It is right and it is true. So wonderful that the crew allowed your presence during the whole process. They were able to use all your hard won wisdom of the land. Let the new beginnings begin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a powerful description, both physical and spiritual. The photos are wonderful accompaniment, part of the woodwind orchestration. The density, the lightness, the absence, the fulfillment. And you, dancing in the present. Thank you, Karina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother Matthias in Germany writes – translated by me :)

    Dear Karina –
    Your process of honoring and accompanying the Oak is really moving. And the strong male crew at your side who attentively contributes, piece by piece, to the transformation. In the end remains Spirit, the memory, and the free space for the new. How beautiful, the wood is a gift in its “weightiness.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this entry once again and was moved in a deeper way to write a second comment. As I read it I could imagine you sitting by the bedside of someone dying reading these words for guidance and to help take heart.

    I am curious: in one of the photos of Mama Oak there is a cross section of a piece of trunk with a figure that I can't really make out. Was it there or did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, there is a figure or code in the trunk – is it an angel, a fairy, a flower, or a dancer? At the core is the unique story of each of us beings... i'll write more about it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karina! Thank you so much for sharing these two blogs about momma oak. I so love your mindful perspective and intentionality you're holding for her and your relationship. Something very special that most humans have been disconnected from their whole lives. Thank you for teaching and inspiring others to hold this same kind of deep relationship to our plant and animal comrades 💕

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I come to your blog in the middle of a workday, and each time I am not sure whether it is a wonderful and necessary thing to do, or whether I should stop getting distracted in the middle of work… it is a sobering reality-check.

    When I first read this post a week ago, my heart felt full of joy and sorrow. I was reminded of how the tragedy of a loved one’s death is always met so strangely by a million other experiences – that life somehow goes on for the rest of us, that somehow there is laughter and food. And with Mama Oak, there is enormous loss and an extreme work environment and yet you and the tree crew have different jobs the very next day, work doesn’t wait while resting, mourning, and celebrating is taking place. I feel like everything is happening at once and that we must be very very big to sense it all.

    And since I read this a week ago, I have been singing Todo Cambia, written by Julio Numhauser (Chile) and sung/popularized by Mercedes Sosa (Argentina), both exiled from their countries of origin and writing/singing from that far-away place. Each day I sing and I think of the incredible transformation taking place in your garden, and in the lives of all beings who find themselves far from their places of origin: what courage it takes and must take to live through so much upheaval.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend writes:

      Karina,
      Your description of the taking down of your mother-oak tree, of the workers and all they did, of your own feelings and experiences -- all of it was very moving and hugely encouraging and even educational. You remind me of the importance of accepting change even when it's as potentially heartbreaking as the end of your beloved tree.

      As you know I've been in Minnesota at the lake where my grandmother first bought a little cottage in 1938. Sometimes we were 20 people together for dinner by the lake -- all related through that grandmother. The sky, clouds, lake, trees, fish, loons, and ducks -- even th sound of motors on boats -- brought back many memories and instead of making me sad, I embraced them, even the tragic ones (the last summer my mother spent at the lake before her death, for example). It can be done, as you tell us in your beautiful essay......we can lose loved ones and suffer and accept those losses and move forward joyfully.

      Delete
  11. Oh how exciting and how I agree with your joy and astonishment at the skill and bravery and carefully grown respect and tenderness amongst the work team doing this challenging job. As one human to another I salute your vision. I am curious as to how the next years evolve in your garden now that this huge grandma tree has been moved on and the sunlight and rain will access other growing beings in new ways. I hope you have rescue remedy for the shock of the change or a nice pair of warm socks and cup of sweet tea as you pass by these new days with a naked sky.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog