Looking Back, and Forward... inhabiting the Present Moment


Recently when asked to offer T’ai Chi classes at a couple of different places, I pulled out my 2008 brochure and read it again. Here an excerpt: 

 

For more than 40 years, I have allowed the practice and principles of T’ai Chi Ch’uan to work on me and through me. As it merged over the years with other studies, skills and interests of mine, I increasingly saw myself teaching from the perspective of a woman born into Western culture. For me, T’ai Chi as the “Mother of All” is a musical sphere that embraces the melodies of Yin and Yang, the pulse of full and empty, the Breath of in and out. When this ancient philosophy is experienced in the body through the Senses along with gentle Awareness, a song arises, we remember, and new pathways open, as well as forgotten possibilities. We dare to unlearn. 

 

The laws of our human existence come into focus: Gravity & Alignment, growing Roots & playful Balance, resonance & harmony, inter-relatedness & attunement. T’ai Chi becomes a lifelong discovery: teaching us humility, flexibility and perseverance, providing us with an honest mirror and a structure for self-cultivation. I love that inner strength is emphasized over muscle power: ‘Softness overcomes hardness,’ say the classics, urging us to ‘invest in loss.’ 


Hands interweaving ­– students practicing “70/3” across from each other 


Relieved and a bit astonished, I decided that what I had written 14 years ago, still holds for me nowadays. Over the course of the past 40 years of my T’ai Chi school and teaching – I have been listening carefully to my students so I could grow with the changing times. Before T’ai Chi, I taught dance, and later continued to teach theater, extended voice, breath, and creative expression through movement, sounding, writing, drawing.  And all those skills and modes from my years of training and performing days integrated themselves organically into my T’ai Chi classes. But at the deepest level, I always feel drawn and fiercely attached to the simple and vigorous Principles of T’ai Chi Ch’uan. It’s depth, simplicity and complexity are utterly fascinating to me. About 16 years ago, I started to name my teaching the Art of Slowing Down.  

This logo I designed 30 years ago for my flyers

T’ai Chi with its Art and Principles has become a way of life for me. In my teaching I offer it as medicine, as a tool for growth, healing and transformation. Over the decades my body, mind, and movement have become energetically more “transparent,” light and at ease. The principles are physical laws of Nature, forces bigger than us. How can we listen, play, come into balance? My curiosity keeps guiding me deep into T’ai Chi Ch'uan's meaning on all levels of being: body and mind, heart and spirit. In all kind of physical and mental activities – gardening, practicing the cello, hiking, writing, painting, and more – I look for least effort, allowing space for gentle awareness. Continued explorations, so much to be discovered, experienced & unlearned, moment by moment. My respect and gratitude for this ancient practice ever growing.... It’s all about the gift and the mystery of life… 

Comments

  1. You describe a large and generous vision not only of T'ai Chi but life. I feel an immensity and simplicity in what you write that is inviting and inspiring. "Softness overcomes hardness...urging us to invest in loss" This strikes me as so beautiful and a rich guide to old age. I keep wanting to reread what you have written both because there is so much there and because it speaks to my heart and spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog